Thursday, September 4, 2008

RE: Does Lou Holtz have the secret to a good life?

I don't think most of us would consider ESPN's college football broadcasts as a resource for coming to better terms about what is indeed important in life. For most of us, myself included, college football telecasts are an escape from the realities and complexities of life itself. But the other night I did hear what I thought was some good advice coming from none other than Lou Holtz, former South Carolina coach, former Notre Dame coach, former Minnesota coach, former Arkansas coach. He has been around and has given his share of pep talks to college students. Here's what he said. He said we all need the following:

1. Something to do -

2. Someone to love - (and I would add someone to love you as well)

3. Something to hope for -

4. Something to believe in -

I am sure Maslow and a team of psychologists could give us a more complicated rendering, but I think old Lou is on to something here. If you think about your future outside of OSU in terms of how you will answer those four needs, I think that can help focus things for you as you plan ahead. And I hope all of you are indeed planning or thinking about your plans, for the falls slip by quickly and you soon find yourself with a degree in hand and facing the world before you know it. The better you know yourself before you graduate the better position you'll be able to put yourself in once you do head out into the working world. Socrates would agree with me. He originally said, "Know Thyself." Shakespeare said the same thing in "Hamlet." And I don't doubt that Lou Holtz is in agreement with them as well.

No comments: