Tuesday, October 21, 2008

An Idea for the Rest of Your Life

One of my favorite things to do on a Sunday is to go to the public library here in Stillwater. I think it is a fair library as libraries go. Honestly, I did rather expect something more when I moved here, knowing this is a college town. But I do have my OSU library priviledges, and library loan has helped me too. I have also benefited from the public library's semi-annual booksale. I've gotten good hardback copies for just a dollar. In turn, I've donated some books myself. But what I really want to throw out here right now is an idea that I had when I finished my MA in English from the University of Arkansas, nearly ten years ago. I told myself that I was going to keep up with my reading, keep up with my brain exercises! I remember what joy that first summer was, for I could read anything I wanted. I had no reading list to complete. I didn't have to rack my brain on how I could turn this or that reading experience into a twenty-five page paper. There were no reading quizzes!

So I went to town, so-to-speak, with my reading and have maintained about a book every two weeks pace. And something that I've done ever since then is keep a journal of what I read for each year. My mother, an influence on me being a reader myself, had already given me a reading journal for Christmas two years before. I started at first with just putting the name of the writer and the book title in the journal. But after doing that for a few years, I started writing a few sentences of commentary / review. Now that it has been nearly ten years since I started, I have a nice trail of where my intellectual interests have taken me. And whenever people ask me for a book recommendation, I can easily consult my journal and pick out something that they might like themselves.

The Stillwater library has provided me with a fair number of those books. And so has the OSU library. But the most important book I'll ever own will be the journal that I plan on keeping for the rest of my life. I encourage you to do the same thing. But start it earlier than I did. Start it now! You'll capture the essence of your college experience as a reader, and you'll be able to go back at some point and re-read these books of your youth. They will not have changed, but you will have, and it will be interesting for you to compare your reading experiences to one another.

No comments: